Tips to Maximise Your Small Bathroom
With planning, a small bathroom can be a triumph of function and design
Working with small spaces can be a challenge, so here are some clever design tips on how to maximise the space you have for better functionality, and some effective ways to create a feeling of space.
- The eye can be tricked into believing the space is larger by using the same materials on the floors and walls. Try to avoid using anything that creates a visual block such as using strong contrasts or changing the direction of tiles or trims. Tiling right up to the ceiling and running your wall tiles right across the width of the wall will also open up the room.
- If you’re lucky enough to have natural light, use it… even opaque glass will flood the room with light, creating an airy and spacious feel. Using clear glass shower screens also allows light to flow, creating an impression of space. For windowless bathrooms, innovative light solutions can combine practicality with style and atmosphere.
- Use light and reflections to create the impression of space. Strategically placed mirrors make reflections recede into the distance and provides the impression of infinity.
- A seamless transition between surfaces can be achieved by using rectified tiles which have perfectly flat edges. When laid, the edges of rectified tiles are closely aligned, the grout is thinner, so it merges into the background giving the appearance of a solid block of colour.
- Recessing cabinetry and shelves into the wall both increases storage and floor-space and reduces clutter. Building a recessed shelf or niche into the wall of the shower provides a home for shampoo and other products and makes for a seamless bathroom design.
- Choosing the right tile can enhance any interior and transform the appearance of walls and floors. It’s important to consider the proportion of the space and choose a tile that is relative to the size of the room.
- Always take tile samples into the room so you can see how it looks in-situ, it’s the only way to appreciate the real effect.
At Myaree Ceramics we believe your home should reflect your personality and lifestyle. Bring your house plans, reference images and ideas into our showroom at 91 Norma Road Myaree and talk to our in-house designers. They have a wealth of knowledge and are happy to work with you to bring your vision to life.
Together we can create a design that will stay looking good for years to come. Plus we can provide the best advice on how to care for and maintain your tiles. Contact us on 9330 3611.